Fort de la Colle noire: no public access
It was built in 1878-1880 and rises 295 meters above sea level.
Surrounded by a moat defended by 3 double and 2 single caponiers, it completed the eastern protection of the Toulon square with the Coudon forts (Toulon's great belt).
A plan of the fort shows that about half of its area was rock in place. Only the northwest quarter of the fort was excavated to accommodate the five bays of the barracks and, perpendicularly, a series of stores, all opening onto a courtyard where the entrance was located. A moat encircled the entire perimeter. In the center of the front, the powder magazine was isolated from the rest of the fort by solid layers of bedrock.
The tops of the fort were laid out as artillery positions, with three hollow crosspieces, and infantry positions. The artillery position was thus higher than the barracks, but also further forward on the rocky section.
The entire escarpment is attached, except on the left of the gorge front, where it was detached. An ammunition depot exploded in August 1946, and a second disaster occurred in August 1949, after more ammunition had been piled up. Clearly, the epicenter of this second explosion was in front of or in the barracks, which was totally destroyed, as was the first line of magazine bays. The powerful explosion destroyed a large part of the building; some of the fort's rooms were untouched, but a collapse blocked access to them. Two cross-shelters and, in part, a third still remain on top.
The fort is fenced off to prevent accidents.
Mistral network lines 39 and 23.
Massif may be closed due to fire risks in summer.
Despite the temporary absence of signage (replacement of prohibition signs), the section between Plage de La Garonne and Plage des Bonnettes remains off-limits to pedestrians (municipal by-law).
- Military Patrimony
PricesFree of charge.
|From 01 Jan to 31 Dec 2024
|Lundi Mardi Mercredi Jeudi Vendredi Samedi Dimanche